Welcome to a fresh start – New Year & New Skin: Building a Skincare Routine for 2024! It’s that time of the year when we can give our skin some extra love. This guide is all about creating a skincare routine that suits you and makes your skin happy. We’ll keep it simple, with easy steps and tips to help you glow in the new year. So, let’s dive into a journey of self-care and discover how to make your skin shine in 2024!
Table of Contents
1. Steps to Build a Skincare Routine for 2024
Follow our step-by-step guide to create the ideal skincare routine, even if you’re new to the game.
1.1. Cleansing (Morning and Night)
Cleaning your face in the morning and night is like giving your skin a fresh start and a goodnight hug. It’s a simple but crucial step to keep your skin happy. In the morning, use a gentle cleanser to wash away any oils or impurities that might have built up while you slept.
This helps your skin feel awake and ready for the day. Choose a cleanser that suits your skin type – whether it’s oily, dry, or a bit of both. At night, it’s time to bid farewell to the day’s dirt, makeup, and pollution. If you wear makeup or sunscreen, consider a two-step approach.
Top Picks –
- Forest Essentials Delicate Facial Cleanser Mashobra Honey, Lemon & Rosewater
- Kama Ayurveda Anti Acne Cleansing Foam
- Khadi Naturals Aloe Vera Cleansing Milk
- SoulTree Turmeric & Indian Rose with Forest Honey Cleansing Lotion
Tips: Consider a foaming or gel cleanser for oily skin, and a cream or milk cleanser for dry skin. Avoid using hot water, as it can strip the skin of natural oils.
Related – 8 Winter Skincare Tips for Glowing Skin
1.2. Toning (Morning and Night)
This is typically done after cleansing and before moisturizing. The purpose of toning is to remove any remaining traces of impurities, balance the skin’s pH levels, and prepare the skin for the next steps in your skincare routine. In the morning and night routines, toning serves slightly different purposes.
In the morning, a toner can help refresh the skin, remove any excess oil that may have accumulated overnight, and create a smooth base for makeup application. In the evening, toning helps to eliminate any lingering impurities, traces of makeup, or pollutants that your skin may have encountered during the day.
Top Picks –
- Juicy Chemistry Bulgarian Rose Water
- Vilvah Rose Hydrating Face Toner
- Earth Rhythm Aloe Vera Green Tea Toner
- Daughter Earth Kakadu Plum & Rosewater Toner
Tips: Apply your toner with a gentle touch. Avoid vigorous rubbing or excessive pressure, as this can potentially irritate the skin.
1.3. Serum (Morning and Night)
Serum is a concentrated skincare product with active ingredients that target specific skin concerns. In the morning and night, apply a serum to clean, toned skin. Look for serums containing brightening ingredients like vitamin C for a radiant complexion. Serums can also address concerns such as fine lines, uneven skin tone, or dehydration.
Top Picks –
- Forest Essentials Advanced Sanjeevani Beauty Elixir
- Kama Ayurveda Kumkumadi Miraculous Beauty Fluid Ayurvedic Night Serum
- Just Herbs Rejuvenating Beauty Elixir Facial Serum
- Khadi Naturals Ayurvedic Anti-Ageing Oil
- SoulTree Radiance Face Oil with Saffron & Turmeric
Tip: Apply serum using upward and outward motions for better absorption. Allow it a moment to penetrate before moving on to the next step.
1.4. Moisturizing (Morning and Night)
Moisturizing is a crucial step to keep the skin hydrated and maintain its natural barrier. In the morning and night, use a moisturizer suitable for your skin type. For a radiant look, choose a moisturizer with hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid. Applying moisturizer helps to lock in moisture, leaving your skin supple and smooth.
Top Picks –
- Vilvah Goat Milk Moisturizing Cream
- Khadi Naturals Herbal Ayurvedic Moisturizer
- Mamaearth Vitamin C Face Cream with SPF 20
- Biotique Bio Morning Nectar Flawless Skin Lotion
Tip: Warm the moisturizer between your palms before applying. Gently press it onto the skin for even distribution and enhanced absorption.
1.5. Sunscreen (Morning)
In the morning, finish your routine with a broad-spectrum sunscreen. Sunscreen protects the skin from harmful UV rays, preventing sun damage and premature aging. Choose a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 and apply it generously to all exposed skin areas, including the face, neck, and hands.
Top Picks –
- Mamaearth Ultra Light Natural Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50
- WOW Skin Science Sunscreen Matte Finish SPF 55
- The Moms Co. Natural Mineral Based Sunscreen
- Aroma Magic Sunblock Lotion SPF 30
- Lotus Herbals Safe Sun Matte Gel Sunscreen SPF 50
Tip: Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to often-neglected areas like the neck, ears, and backs of hands. Reapply throughout the day, especially if you’re outdoors.
1.6. Exfoliation (1-2 Times a Week)
Exfoliation is the process of removing dead skin cells, allowing for a brighter complexion. 1-2 times a week, incorporate an exfoliant into your routine. This can be a chemical exfoliant containing ingredients like alpha or beta hydroxy acids, or a physical exfoliant with gentle scrubbing particles. Be mindful not to over-exfoliate to avoid irritation.
Top Picks –
- Juice Chemistry Hazelnut, Coffee and Chocolate Scrub/Mask
- Greenberry Organics Bio Active Tan Removing Exfoliating Scrub
- Earth Rhythm Face Polish – Brighten & Even
Tip: Avoid aggressive scrubbing; instead, let the exfoliant do the work. Use gentle, circular motions, and be consistent with 1-2 times per week to avoid over-exfoliation.
1.7. Mask (1-2 Times a Week)
Treat your skin to a mask 1-2 times a week. Masks can provide additional nourishment, hydration, or targeted treatment depending on the type you choose. Opt for masks with ingredients like clay for deep cleansing, or hydrating masks for an added boost of moisture. This step enhances the overall health and appearance of your skin.
Top Picks –
- Forest Essentials Multani Mitti Ubtan
- Kama Ayurveda Suvarna Haldi Chandan Brightening Face Pack
- Just Herbs Instaglow Almond Complexion Pack
- Plum Green Tea Clear Face Mask
- SoulTree Ayurvedic Face Mask with Turmeric and Indian Rose Face Mask
Tip: Apply the mask evenly, focusing on areas of concern. Use this time to relax, allowing the mask to work its magic for the recommended duration.
1.8. Eye Cream (Morning and Night)
The skin around the eyes is delicate and prone to fine lines and puffiness. In the morning and night, use an eye cream with ingredients like peptides or caffeine to address specific eye concerns. Gently pat the eye cream around the eye area, promoting hydration and reducing the appearance of fatigue.
Top Picks –
- Juicy Chemistry Coffee & Green Tea Under Eye Cream
- Vilvah Revitalizing Under Eye Cream
- Sugar Cosmetics Coffee Culture Eye Firming Cream
- Daughter Earth Revitalising Eye Cream with Triphala
Tip: Use your ring finger to apply eye cream, as it applies the least pressure. Pat it gently along the orbital bone, avoiding direct contact with the eyes.
A good skincare routine is like giving a special gift to ourselves. It’s not just about looking good; it’s also a way of showing love to our skin. Choosing products from Indian organic brands can be a great idea, using natural ingredients to make our skin healthy and glowing.
Whether it’s using cleansers, serums, or moisturizers, each step is important. This year, let’s not forget to understand what our skin really needs and make choices that work for us. Taking a few moments every day to care for our skin can be a way of showing ourselves some kindness. Here’s to a year of feeling good and having skin that shines!
3.1. What is a proper skin care routine?
A proper skincare routine involves cleansing, toning, applying serum, moisturizing, and using sunscreen to maintain healthy skin.
3.2. What are the 7 steps of skincare?
The 7-step skincare routine typically includes cleansing, toning, exfoliating, applying serum, using a mask, moisturizing, and applying sunscreen.
3.3. What are the 4 skincare routines?
While there isn’t a standard 4-step skincare routine, basic steps often involve cleansing, toning, moisturizing, and sun protection.
3.4. What are the 5 steps in a skincare routine?
The 5 steps in a skincare routine usually include cleansing, toning, applying serum, moisturizing, and using sunscreen to protect the skin from the sun’s harmful effects.