Damaged hair is one of the common problems we face today. Our hair often gets damaged due to environmental pollution, new hairstyles, poor nutrition, health conditions, and so on.
With little care and awareness, one can repair their damaged hair with ease. When it comes to treating damaged hair, there are plenty of options. Some of the most common options to repair damaged hair instantly include – hair masks, organic/herbal shampoo, mild conditioner, etc.
In this post, we will take a look at the best DIY organic hair mask that help you repair damaged hair and keep it healthy for longer.
What is a Hair Mask?
Hair masks are formulated with some of the best hair care ingredients that nourish the hair from deep inside. It is an intense conditioner that soaks your hair and provides the help it needs to repair. Whether you have dry, chemically-colored frizzy hair – a hair mask can make it better and stronger.
Hair masks are rich in natural oils and butter and are often in heavier concentrations than normal conditioners. You can leave it for even overnight to avail its benefits. Organic hair mask is free from chemicals and are 100% safe. The key benefits of hair mask are –
- Makes the hair softer and shiner
- Adds moisture to your scalp and prevents dandruff
- Helps reduce the frizz and make hair stronger
- Contributes to a healthier scalp
How to Choose a Hair Mask?
Hair masks are essential for healthy and vibrant looks. The first step is to choose an organic hair mask that suits your hair type. Here we have listed some suggestions to get the most out of your hair mask. As mentioned above, the ingredients can differ greatly with the type of objective you wish to achieve. Here are the tips to choose hair masks –
- If you have fine or thin hair, you should choose a hair mask with lightweight ingredients such as coconut oil, almond, or jojoba oil.
- If you have thick and frizzy hair, you should choose a hair mask with heavy and rich ingredients such as avocado, shea butter, banana, or almond oil.
- To treat damaged and dry hair, you should use a mask that promotes a healthier scalp. Some of the key ingredients to look for are – fruit oils, Keratin protein, Hyaluronic acid, and shea butter which help rejuvenate the hair
Tips to Use a Hair Mask
There are some basic guidelines to follow when using a hair mask. Some of the dos and don’ts of using hair masks are as below –
- Go through the ingredients listed on the label before you start using a hair mask. If you feel some ingredients might cause an allergic reaction, you should consider doing a patch test. Apply a small amount of hair mask on your skin and wait for 30 minutes. If the skin turns red or causes itching, do not use it.
- Some hair masks are applied on wet hair while some are formulated to apply on dry hair. Check the directions of usage.
- Create a hair mask routine, depending on the severity of the damage. If you have frizzy and rough hair, use a hair mask twice a week.
- Cover the hair mask with a shower cap for better absorption. Before that comb your hair from mid-section to the end. Massage the ends well.
- Avoid blowing your hair with a hairdryer. Let your hair dry naturally
DIY Organic Hair Masks for Strong Hair
Well, different types of hair masks help repair damaged hair. You can prepare DIY organic hair mask at home that are 100% safe to use. You can make the hair masks using the ingredients at home. Here are a few DIY hair masks that not only nourish your hair but protect it.
Olive Oil + Banana
These two ingredients can do wonders on hair when used regularly. This mask is effective in keeping your hair & scalp moisturized.
Banana is rich in vitamins and minerals. It helps in moisturizing and hydrating dry hair while strengthening the roots. It also helps in balancing the pH of the scalp.
Olive oil is rich in Vitamin E that helps in making the hair look sleek and shiner. It could add softness, promotes hair growth, and preserve moisture.
To make the hair mask, blend a ripe banana into a smooth paste. Mix a few drops of olive oil and continue blending. Blend into a smooth and creamy mixture. Apply the mask from hair roots to the tips. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and rinse with cold water.
Avocado + Honey
Avocado and honey hair mask helps in strengthening and adding shine to the hair. This hair mask also rejuvenates and moisturizes the scalp.
Honey has humectant and emollient properties that add shine to dull hair. Honey can restore the natural luster of the hair and keep your hair healthy.
Avocado is a rich source of biotin and helps the promoting hair growth. It helps in unclogging hair follicles and stimulates hair growth.
Take half avocado (ripe) and mash into a smooth paste. Mix it with 1 spoon of honey and 3 drops of olive/almond oil. Make it into a smooth paste and apply it on wet hair with fingertips. Wrap your hair with a shower cap and leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse your hair with a mild shampoo.
Coconut oil + Sugar
This is another important DIY hair mask that helps in promoting hair growth and preventing a wide range of skin conditions.
Coconut oil is rich in anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties that help the scalp remain healthy. It can help in repairing the damaged scalp and prevent certain skin conditions.
Sugar breaks down to glycolic acid when mixed with coconut and essential oils. Sugar can do wonders by removing dead skin cells and dirt.
To make this hair mask, mix 2 spoons of coconut oil, 2 spoons of essential oil, and 4 spoons of raw sugar. Mix it thoroughly and apply it to the scalp and gently massage. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes before you rinse.
Recommended – 6 Organic Hair Masks for Healthy Hair
Massaging the hair with oil infused with herbs nourishes the scalp and promotes hair growth. A hair mask with a deep conditioner is more beneficial for you if you are suffering from dry and frizzy hair.
No doubt, masks are a saviour on days of itchy and dry scalp. They are beneficial for those who use some sort of chemicals and treatment on their hair every day.
If you have questions regarding the best way to take care of your hair, drop your comments below!